Friday, July 24, 2009

This Saddle Feels Good

After my diet was tossed out the window and stayed on the highway for the duration of my NC trip, I picked it up on my way home and have been planted firmly back on the wagon ever since. Granted, last night during Enrichment at church I noshed two different kinds of brownies (in my defense they were ever so itty-bitty), but still I'm down about 3 pounds and most of all feeling grand. I love love my new workout plan, and so I must divulge. . .

Mondays: 40 minutes on the treadmill set on "Random" for hillwork
Tuesdays: Upper body weight work (mixed in with some combination weight exercises and ab work)
Wednesdays: 40 minutes of speed intervals on treadmill
Thursdays: Lower body weight work with combo and ab stuff
Fridays: My very own Jillian Michael's workout at the gym, meaning 2 minutes intense cardio, 2 minutes strength work, 2 minutes abs. This workout I love. It is fun to come up with different ways to work and move and I glean ideas from workout magazines online and stuff. And I steal from Jillian--ever tried Plank jumps? You get in the plank pose and then jump wide and together with your legs. This is not easy fun or enjoyable by any means.
Saturdays: Long Run! This is my favorite workout of the week. I am training for a half marathon and really enjoy this run. I take it easy, keeping my heart rate up, but not stressing about time or anything. I walk for one minute at every mile marker. This Saturday is a five mile run, and I start building from there for the race in October. So far my knees are on board with this goal. I think they are much happier since I'm doing more treadmill running.

And on the seventh day. . . I rest. I do not set my alarm for 5:30, I eat a big fun breakfast and I try to squeeze in an after church nap. Now, I know you might be shaking your head and thinking I am so awesome for doing this. And it is a really awesome plan. But, there has yet to be a 100% perfect week, but I love the idea and so I will keep planning on it. I do move every day, but sometimes things get cut short or I just don't have it in me to do the Jillian creative workout. But, I am writing down what I eat and embracing the WW lifestyle that lets me eat whatever I want while forcing me to be honest with myself. This is my life, this is my body and if I want it to change I have to change and accept the realities of calories in/calories out. I just take it all one day at a time. I eat, I move, I write, I try. When I am pushing through the last fifteen seconds of those wretched plank jumps, I pick a spot on the gym floor and I zero in on it. I tell myself, "You must do what you think you cannot do." Pretty sure that is Eleanor Roosevelt talking. I can do you this. If you are reading this and you want to do this--you can do this. We pick a spot, we focus on it, and we just keep going. My best will be good enough today. I had this goal of reaching my goal weight by Homecoming in October. It is still possible, but I've decided to remove any kind of time constraints. I will just keep writing and moving and eventually I'll get there. And along the way, my calf muscles keep catching my eye and bringing a smile to my face.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Morg. I needed this tonight. Just returned from 3 day family reunion at our family's cabin where I too fell SO off the wagon. In fact, I think the wagon tipped over and is no more! That said, what else was I supposed to do but completely inhale the dutch oven bbq chicken, potato salad, homeade rolls and root beer? And don't even get me started on the s'mores with Reeses. I mean, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do ;-)

    But despite my wagon masacre, I AM weighing in tomorrow morning at 7:30 and will face the reality of the scale. No avoidance of the damage done allowed.

    And tomorrow is a new day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are great Amanda. I've learned that the direction you are facing is way more important than the pace. Way to go hitting the weigh in. Those are the hardest weigh ins, but I think when I've just taken it and fessed up to the scale it is easier for me to just move on, rather than pretend the whole food escapade didn't happen. Are you going to Homecoming? Maybe we can go on a jog together to relive our marathon training days. . both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must just say that I like this attitude ever so much more than the one where you were down on yourself a lot. That's not meant to seem condescending or critical--at all. It's just that I think that I am learning that the more we learn to accept realities and at the same time be kind to ourselves, be merciful in the ways that we can, we are learning wisdom.

    I am far from this. But sometimes, I realize that there's only so much that I can do. But I can do it. You can too. Keep it up. Your enthusiasm, peace, and happiness is infectious.

    ReplyDelete