Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Gobble Gobble Gobble. . . .

This is me. Going Cold Turkey.
I don't expect anyone else to understand this or do this or care about this. But, I feel directed to both do it and write about it. Truth is, we all have hard things that we are doing, feel inspired to do, dread doing, and are waiting around summoning the courage to do. This is mine.

I have felt prompted often that my body, health, and happiness will go to a new level if I give up refined sugar and flour. Drastic? Perhaps. And I've talked myself out of it several times. But the fact remains that when I have done it, I feel fabulous. And then I snitch. And then I slide. And then I binge. And every time I read and pray and ask for guidance, I feel the same thing.

So, I am embarking on a new adventure. My first 100 days begins now. I am going to focus on what I WILL eat, what I WILL do, how I WILL live, not on the "no" list. I will eat superfoods. I will exercise. I will write what I feel. I will eat three meals a day. I will fill my time with joy, work, service, and fuel myself with food for my life, not live my life for food. And if you care to know, I'll write about it here. I have thought that this is perhaps the worst possible time to embark on such a challenge. I am surrounded by the food of my past, a tv in every room, and the stress of a family divided and an unknown financial future. But, perhaps if I can do it now, I can do it forever. And perhaps God is whispering this to my soul because He knows that I will grow in important ways when I conquer this fixation and sense my own strength. This process will invite and Christ into my life in fundamental ways. I will need him to heal me, help me, and give me a vision and hope. I know He will.

So, I will begin. I won't expect perfection, but every day I will try. I will remember what I am doing, how far I have come, and why I want to go farther. Every day in this body of mine is a precious gift. I am grateful that the Atonement gives me the capacity to change. And I intend to.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I feel that a time of change in life is a great time to make drastic personal changes as well. I look forward to hearing about your journey.

    ReplyDelete