Friday, June 12, 2009

The ride

The other day I was feeding Emma a bottle, helping Isaac read a book, and paying bills online. That is serious multi-tasking, and I think I do that a little too much. I tend to quantify my worth by how much I can get done in a day. I think I could take a lesson or two (or more) from my two year old. She just sings her way through the day, creating songs as she goes, and her only task of the day is fiercely defending her autonomy. . . and I do mean fiercely. In any case, the other day we were swinging together and looking up at her joyfully beaming face filled my heart with a whole lot of happiness in that moment. I wasn't thinking about anything else, not what I was making for dinner, not how I was going to help Isaac learn to read, how I was going to make sure my girls had healthy relationships with food--I was only basking in the glow of the minute. It was a nice minute and I think I would have more nice minutes if I siezed upon that attitude a little more often.

The sugar-free life goes well. I tried a bite of a famed Georgetown cupcake. They won a big contest up here and someone brought me one. It was amazing, I'll admit it. I savored one bite and then passed it on to the rest of the family. I have never tasted chocolate frosting like that in my entire life. Wow.

I feel great. I've lost three pounds, which is nice, but it feels nice to not be dieting, just living in a healthier way. I am grateful for my body and going to try to embrace living in it one day at a time, one minute at the time.

1 comment:

  1. Just had to check in. Started Weight Watchers the other day. Was doing great most of yesterday until my friend gave me a plate of the yummiest peanut butter cookies EVER (she must have your recipe). Seriously. Of course, I practiced NO CONTROL whatsoever and - 18 points later - was having a salad for dinner. The good news? Today I am rockin' it. I'm even going to go for a long walk tonight (even though I have a few more weeks until I can officially start exercising).
    Bit by bit, inch by inch, bite by bite, step by step - getting it together.

    ReplyDelete